Monday, February 2, 2015

How the Buffy ending was absolutely perfect, in a sort of depressing way

*SPOILER ALERT* Do not read any farther if you are still watching the show or are planning on watching the show. Continue if you've already seen it or do not want to watch the show.

Now, before I continue, I have to say that I love all the characters and that I'm Team Spike. Because many reasons. His soul is a little more intact than Angel's, he loved Buffy even without a soul, and he treats Buffy as an equal, not someone to protect.

I haven't caught up on Angel either, so I'm not sure how the rest of the storyline pan out. I'm just going to talk about things as is.

All in all, the ending felt perfect to me. Buffy didn't end up with anyone, just herself. When the show ends, she's in her early twenties. With Sunnydale demolished, she has the whole world ahead of her with the training of other Slayers. Also, can we talk about that for a minute? Willow totally decided that that ancient tradition set down by the warlocks was bogus and allowed all potential Slayers to have full capabilities. LOVE.

As I talked about with one of my friends, the 90's was great for some girl power in TV. We need to go back to that more.

Aside from Buffy, I liked how everyone's relationship status ended up as well. Willow had Kennedy, which shows she'll be able to move on from Tara. I was sad that Anya died, but her death will allow Xander to move on. The past season or so was all about how he and Anya still loved each other, but knew they couldn't be together.

Basically, I loved the ending and thought it was perfect. But from a fan standpoint, I want to know how everyone ends up, according to canon. Obviously, I could go and read and write some fanfiction, but I never feel like I can fully believe in fanfiction as a, well, reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment