Friday, November 28, 2014

Gilmore Girls on Netflix: Yes, I jumped on the bandwagon

So, even back in the day, I was a belated Gilmore Girl viewer. I started watching the show back in 2007 right after the last season came out, so I never had to wait for new seasons and episodes to come out.

When Netflix released the show on streaming, I hadn't planned on watching it again. But then, one of my friends came over and suggested we turn it on for something to watch and I was once again hooked.

Now, just a few months later, I finished the show and I noticed more than I did before.

First, the show itself was different than I remembered. With the change in writers for the last season, the show took on a faster pace and so much more happened that season. (SPOILER ALERT for the next few paragraphs, if you haven't seen the show.)

For instance, I remembered the things happening on the last season happening earlier. I thought that Luke and Lorelai got together in the 3rd season and that Lorelai married Christopher in the 5th season. I thought that Rory got engaged to Logan in the last season and that Richard died in the 6th season. Not sure why I thought all these things, but alas, I did. Memory is funny.

Well, of course, Richard does not die at all and Rory decides not to continue her relationship with Logan. Why on Earth did I remember it otherwise?

Another thing I realized about the show: it began in 2000, but I'd forgotten how different 2000 was. It was only 14 years ago, but so much has changed. The show saw cell phones become common along with wireless Internet. Rory submitted her college applications by mail. My childhood and teenage years were much different than Rory's in that sense.

It was fun to watch that process.

No comments:

Post a Comment